What are they? Don’t worry — the reality is nothing like this image on the right… and are they for you?
From my research, I’ve found that skype yoga or web-based yoga classes are being offered by yoga instructors around the country (including yours truly). These are generally private classes that are customized for you. You and your instructor talk or email before your class and discuss any areas of concern, past injuries and current wellness goals. You likely sign a waiver just like you would in an in-person class and you’re set.
What you’ll need for skype yoga classes:
- A good internet connection
- A webcam either clipped on your computer or built into your device
- A room with enough open space for you and your yoga mat, preferably closed off from the kids, dogs and other distractions.
- A yoga mat
- A PayPal account or willingness to pay through PayPal
Skype or web-based yoga classes offer these great benefits:
- You don’t have to leave your house for class! This is especially great for folks who don’t have classes in their community or who would rather stay home to workout.
- You have the accountability of having an appointment with your instructor but you can already be in your comfy clothes and don’t have to brave the gym or the sometimes intimidating yoga studio.
- You get the benefits of a customized private yoga class that’s likely a little cheaper than having an instructor come to your home (I sometimes build in gas money for my private class rates).
- Web-based yoga classes are great complements to DVDs in that you’re working with a living, breathing and certified yoga instructor so the content of your practice will be new and dynamic to fit your needs. You can still use DVDs on your non-class days.
- Because your class is tailored to you – your needs and goals — you’ll likely see progress in your practice more quickly than a “one size fits all” class.
Who should think about skype yoga classes?
- If you have been thinking about trying yoga but feel intimidated, uncomfortable or anxious going to a large class, this could be the perfect class for you… We ALL have fears and insecurities about certain things and this could be for any reason at all. A web-based class allows you to explore yoga in a way that’s safe and on your terms.
- If you’re home bound, caring for a loved one or working from home, your instructor will work with you to find a convenient time for class.
- Maybe you live in a small town with no yoga class options and you’re really not a fitness dvd person.
One final thought on this — you don’t need to already know yoga or be an avid yogi to benefit from a web-based class. It’s amazing how well I can see even slight adjustments in form as I’m instructing my skype clients. The technology is such that it’s like I’m in the room with them… only better. When we’re finished, my clients are relaxed, feeling balanced and strong. And, they just hang up our video call and set about their day. No driving through traffic or any other “peace stealers”.
Has anyone tried skype yoga with an instructor? What was your experience?
If you’re interested in skype yoga with YogaXoga, contact me to learn more.